Manhattan Studies Institute
English Language Course (IELTS Training)
The Advanced English Language and IELTS Preparation Course is offered by American European Education ( AEE ) in an online format. The preparation course will help with your IELTS exams or your Admission Exam for AEE campuses in Romania ( AEE-Ro) and USA ( MSI-NYC)
The Advanced English Language and IELTS Preparation Course are most suited to you if you are already able to hold conversations confidently, read and understand a variety of texts, and write clearly and accurately. If you can do these things then you will benefit from this course. In addition, this course is ideal if you are considering sitting a General or Academic IELTS Examination.
The Advanced English Language and IELTS Preparation Course will enable you to become more confident when dealing with complex and unfamiliar situations. You will learn to listen to extended conversations, follow detailed instructions/explanations, and adapt your responses accordingly. You will work at fluency when making contributions to discussions in a variety of situations. You will also obtain more practice in reading materials of varying lengths and detail from different sources. You will learn to communicate your ideas in writing (and speech) using content and a format/style that is appropriate to the situation and audience. Finally, as you complete each module, you will develop a clearer understanding of what is required when preparing for the IELTS examination.
Module 1: Home, Family & Daily Life
- Speaking to communicate; giving detailed information clearly, offering ideas and opinions, adapting speech/responses to take account of the listener, medium, purpose, and situation.
- Engaging in discussion with one or more people in a variety of situations, making clear and effective contributions that produce outcomes relevant to purpose and topic.
Module 2: Politics and Socio-Cultural issues.
- Listening to extended information and narratives,
- following detailed explanations
- multi-step instructions of varying length/complexity, and adapting response to the speaker.
Module 3: Work and Professions
Learning outcomesListening to extended information and narratives, following detailed explanations and multi-step instructions of varying length/complexity, and adapting response to the speaker.
Module 4: Health and Fitness
Learning outcomesReading and understanding texts of varying lengths on a variety of topics accurately and independently.
Module 5: Citizenship & Politics
- Be able to give views and opinions about local issues
- Listen to and follow a discussion
- Gain an understanding of vocabulary relating to citizenship and politics
Module 6: Crime and Punishment
- Listen to and follow a discussion regarding a crime
- Gain a broader understanding of vocabulary relating to crime and punishment
- Gain a greater understanding of the types of questions that can be asked about citizenship and politics in the IELTS Speaking Exam
- Read articles and text about crime
- Practice reading comprehension skills
Module 7: The Environment
- Read about environmental issues and practice your comprehension
- Read some sample IELTS questions relating to environmental issues
- Read and write letters and e-mails
Module 8: Technology and Social Networking
- Listen to conversations among retailers and customers relating to the purchase of technologies for the home and answer questions relating to the conversation.
- Listen to conversations among teenagers talking about their social networking habits and answer questions relating to the conversation.
- Learn new vocabulary relating to social media, social networking, and technology
Module 9: Science and Education
- Listen to and follow a discussion regarding education
- Gain a broader understanding of vocabulary relating to education and science
- Gain a greater understanding of the types of questions that can be asked about education and science in the IELTS Speaking Exam